Friday, February 15, 2013

Kathy Lindemer of Bay Moon Design

Today's feature is Kathy Lindemer of Bay Moon Designs!

Kathy is a fellow jewelry artist on Etsy and I love her beach inspired creations!

Tell us a little bit about your shop and why you created it.
Bay Moon Design was born to make people have fun with jewelry and cards that bring nature and fun back into your life.  All my jewelry creations are drawn from influences found in nature, and each piece is designed to be comfortable and fun to wear. My cards often co-ordinate with my jewelry.  At the core of Bay Moon Design is quality, sustainability and supporting local exchanges. I buy locally when possible.  I use mainly vintage or materials from nature, along with locally sourced, eco friendly supplies. I reuse packing envelopes when shipping. Craft shows that I participate in are all local. I donate jewelry or cards to local charities. Everything is one of a kind or produced in small batches to preserve the fun of wearing something unique.


Purple Bracelet, Lavender and Green Leaves with Lilac Flowers Click to see this on Etsy


To help us get to know you a little better tell us 1 favorite.
I love to watch Grey’s Anatomy, Downtown Abbey, and House.  I still haven’t recovered from House ending.

Have you always been interested in art as a girl?
I was interested in art as a girl.  My mother did some painting and I enjoyed art class at school.  I also liked crafts and learned how to knit and crochet from my mother.  

How do you stay driven to create new pieces?
Recently, I have become involved in bead exchanges and blog hops.  I am often sent beads and findings that I am required to use in a design or I am given a picture to inspire a creation.  These bead exchanges and blog hops have really driven me to do some of my best work.


Lime Green Fish Necklace with Unique Artisan Ceramics and Wire Wrapping



What are some challenges you face/have faced in regard to your craft?
I have dupuytren's contracture which is a genetic disease and affects my hands.  Last summer I had surgery on my right hand which resulted in a 2 week recovery and occupational therapy for 6 months.  This Spring I am trying an new treatment which involves an injection rather than surgery on my left hand.  So far, it doesn't stop me from making jewelry or cards, but it is unpredictable when or where it will flair up.  I try to limit my crafting to a few hours a day.

What inspires you to create?
I am interested in learning new techniques.  I will make a few things with one technique and then more on to another. Recently, I have been focusing on using different color combinations and Irish linen thread.  I would like to go more in the direction of using more mixed media in my designs.

  Anything else?
I never make any jewelry that I won’t wear.  I try to wear everything that I sell in my shop once before I sell it to make sure I like the way it looks and feels. 

Sea Glass Necklace in Blue Purple Brown Shades with White Sea Glass




Tell me a little about you and your daughter.
My daughter and I have changed roles recently. I just retired after 40 years in the work force. I worked through 2 pregnancies and all while my children were growing up. Needless to say, I was a busy person. Now that I am retired I enjoy traveling, making jewelry and cards, swimming, yoga and reading. I also spend way too much time on the Internet. My daughter recently entered the world of work after 20 years as a student. I get a kick out of listen to her thoughts on being an adult with work and household obligations. She doesn’t have any children. Wait until she sees how that changes things! She has commented numerous times about my leisure life style. I think deep down she knows I have earned it but she is jealous.


Beautiful picture of Kathy and her daughter Christina!

How does your daughter inspire you?
Her ability to set a goal and accomplish it inspires me.

What is the most special moment you share?
The most special moment that comes to mind is my daughter’s recent wedding day. We worked together on it for a year. I discovered that my wedding ideas from the 1970’s were very different than her ideas of a wedding. I made it a goal to get through the wedding without too much conflict. Everything we planned worked out. It was a very modern wedding on the beach on a beautiful day and everyone had a great time at the reception. 



What do you love and admire about her?
I love her outgoing personality and her admire her ability to hold her own in the male dominated work environment that she works in as an engineer. She gets her personality from her father. I would like to think that I served as a positive role model for a woman in the work place.


What is so special about your mother daughter bond?
I am very happy that I was able to have a son and a daughter. I have what they call the perfect family. I treasure both, but I do believe that there is a special relationship between a mother and daughter just as there is between a father and son. Only women can relate to the importance of such feminine frills as prom dresses, bridal veils, hair styles, nail polish, jewelry etc. Major life events such as childbirth and marriage can only be viewed in similar ways by the same sex. I am glad that I had a daughter to relate those experiences with.





What do you want your daughter to remember?
I want her to remember to treat people with kindness. 


Any words for your daughter?
Remember, always have one of my business cards ready to hand to those who compliment you on your jewelry! :-)

Kathy, It has been so enjoyable learning more about how and why you create such lovely jewelry! Hearing about your wonderful mother daughter relationship gets me excited about my new adventures as my daughter grows up!
Thanks so much! 
XOXO
Christine 

See more in her SHOP
Follow her BLOG
Follow her on FACEBOOK


4 comments:

  1. Thank you Christine! Your blog post about my daughter and I turned out lovely. I appreciate all of the time and thought that you put into it. I can't wait to see my daughter's reaction to it! I know she will be pleased with it too. Thanks again! Best wishes for sales of your wonderful mother-daughter inspired jewelry. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I hope she loves it! It was a joy to learn more about you! Best to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Kathy, it was so nice to read about you, your inspirations and your daughter! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interview! It feels like I know Kathy a little bit more now! : )

    ReplyDelete